Share your work-from-home set-up

I have to admit I’m lucky. I worked from home for almost a decade. I have a nice size house, and my kids are still at school, but old enough to look after themselves and can be relied upon to get on with their tasks independently.

I realise that this is not the same for everyone. Working from home, or even just staying home together, will be a tough transition for some. I’m happy to share any experience I have.

If you have any tips, or any questions, to help make the most of this time and look after ourselves and our families, please do share them here.

Here, to kick things off, is my work set-up.

I have my personal laptop (for music, to stay in touch with friends on social, and news), plus the work laptop linked to what WAS my son’s PS4 gaming monitor.

My desk is an inexpensive LINNMON table top (£6) which is attached to a standard KALLAX shelving unit at either the height for sitting, or higher up for a standing desk. The desk (plus leg and brackets) probably cost me something like £35

The arm for the laptop is useful for saving my neck and for all the video conferencing.

How are you set up?

1 Like

For the moment this is my setup, with a mouse on the arm of the sofa.

I’m going to have to get myself a desk and chair at some point, so I’m not slouched on the sofa for 7.5 hours per day :grimacing:

1 Like

Saving the spot for a pic, as right now it’s covered in quite a lot of proprietary stuff :stuck_out_tongue: . But yeah, one of the joys of MS is that you make a decent setup for these days when you have no choice, so got a desk I made, a rather nice graphics tablet as a main screen (we work on a lot of collab stuff, and annotating with a proper pen is a techgodsend), varied laptops on the side, depending if it’s personal or work stuff, a logitech GS13 for left hand operations, and a keyboard. Oh, and a trackball mouse with a decent amount of buttons, really helps with bad hands.

3 Likes

I should have known you’d have the most toys tools!

This weekend I bought an external webcam to use for whole room shots so my kids can do their dancing / music lessons / group chats while looking at a larger TV screen and not just a laptop.

We also had our first full family video chat for Mother’s Day, including a piano recital for the occasion from my son for his grandma. All went well. I hope that we build the kind of good habits that we can keep up even after isolation rules have been relaxed.

Absolutely, it’s a great occasion (well, apart from the whole people dying thing) to rethink how we do things. Same thing at work, we were moving towards a heavy work-at-home modularity, that definitely fired up the schedule. And now, it’s official, we are in lockdown, so I guess sites like coursera and ted talks will get the love they deserve, at long last.

1 Like

I fashioned myself a desk out of an old Ikea cupboard! Have to get crafty in times like these! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Haha, fair play :smiley: I told my manager that I was working on the sofa and it was starting to get uncomfortable on my neck. So my employer is now going to order a desk for me :heart:

2 Likes

Ahhh score! Glad you won’t be WFS (work from sofa) anymore…!

1 Like

doesn’t count if you don’t share a picture! At this stage the mind boggles at the idea of you sitting on a shelf and closing the door to the world :wink:

2 Likes

Ahahaha that doesn’t sound too bad actually! But this is it… it looks less impressive than it sounds on reflection! but this used to be a storage unit with a bunch of separators and now… makeshift desk :wink:

6 Likes

Just be careful, if you have a cat of course they’ll go and settle in that basket, and then feet are fair game :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Funny you say that, Tor, I actually do – and he’s done just that!

4 Likes

Cats are known for cratesharking. And bedsharking. And drawersha…ok, you get the point :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Ok, I MAY have personal experience… That’s how my desk looks underneath

:rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

AMAZING! Look at that swanky pad! That is one lucky feline friend you’ve got :heart_eyes_cat:

1 Like

Best bit is that it makes him pretty close to invisible :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

What a beauty! … I think :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:Did you know @robert has a multi-functional feline that doubles up as a duster? Got any good snaps, Rob? :camera_flash:

1 Like

He’s a lovely boy, though a bit of a mini puma. We adopted him, just after he’d had a bad accident costing him his sight, and the vet, having just used his weight as a guide, told us he was about 4 or 5. Uhuh, turns out he was just a giant kitten, lad has doubled in size since… And nope, didn’t know about Rob’s Swiss army cat, we really need a pet thread on here :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

One thing I’ve found is that after having taken a week of annual leave last week (it was a wonderful holiday to the living room!), it’s a lot harder to get back into the working rhythm after a break when you’re working from home :grimacing:

1 Like

that’s a very good point - I’m about to do the same thing (in theory)

I’m thinking of breaking up the holiday with some days “in the office” so as to avoid getting too into the relaxed mode, but I also have two kids home on school ‘holidays’ so trying to entertain them while they don’t have schoolwork to engage them.

1 Like