Rob's Reading List - 31 Jan 2020

As I am keeping an eye on news outlets and social media, I come across a variety of articles each week that give me more perspective on issues around personal debt, developments in fintech, or innovation in financial services or maybe in the wider economy. I thought I would share a few of the interesting ones in case anyone is interested. I hope you enjoy browsing through them.

Note, some may be behind paywalls (I will try to mark these) but I will share in case you have access or choose to subscribe.

Please bear in mind that I share these in a spirit of curiosity and personal education. These are not intended to be an endorsement of the content or the publication.

None of us is immune. This is a well written personal piece about debt and mental health.

There are a lot of stories about the impact of new FCA regulation on the rates charged on credit cards. This one focuses on the potential impact on heavily indebted consumers of ignoring the warnings.

Interesting to see data on the subject of the link between mental and financial wellness. [paywall]

Some good news. ‘Nudges’ work! Just like the success of introducing the 5p charge for plastic bags reduced their usage dramatically, the introduction of a ‘carbon tax’ has had a dramatic impact on the UK’s emissions. What lessons can we learn for improving our financial environment now?

The title paints a negative picture, but in fact this might be good news that so many people ARE using mobile banking. It may take a while, but there’s still plenty of scope to encourage people to explore a wider range of providers.

Finally, a little closer to home, a recently published interview with @AC about Dozens. If you are new to Dozens you many not know the story behind the business and our mission, and there were some very interesting questions here.

3 Likes

I’ll be sharing a list of interesting links each week or two (depending what I happen to come across). If you think there is something interesting that I should read and maybe share, do let me know.

I will still re-share links in community posts that maybe need more profile, but if you prefer to send me something privately, feel free to drop me a personal message here instead.