New member, being a bit more honest with myself

Hi everyone,

New customer/member here! Nice to meet you all :slight_smile:

I’m very excited to get started with Dozens, after looking around the fintech offerings the past few days. From everything I’ve seen, I can have trust that decisions will be made with the right interests in mind :innocent:

I’ve pretended to myself (and others) for many years that I’m better with money than I am. Most months are overspent, and I have around £10k spread over CCs and overdrafts. I don’t buy flashy things, it’s all been lunches here, coffee there, weekends away with my partner.

Also a strange anxiety of the worst thing in the world is for people to think you can’t afford something. Being declined would destroy me. I wonder how common that is? Logically, it makes no sense. I can’t afford a boat. I don’t want a boat, or a new tele, but I’d be mortified if people knew I was 90% in my overdraft :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I’m no longer comfortable with having debt, especially at that level, and want it gone. I feel fraudulent when friends ask me for advice. If I’m truly honest, it makes me feel half an adult (at 31).

We’re cutting back spending as dramatically as possible, so spending analysis hopefully won’t be needed an awful lot :grin: But my theory is that using a separate service will psychologically help keep me in a frugal mindset, and remind me of this commitment.

Some of the other similar options feel a little Wolf of Wall St to me - though Dozens is still for-profit, it feels like the Building Society of fintech :slight_smile:

Anyway, enough of my chattering, nice to be here and I look forward to talking with you all! :slight_smile:

Matt

12 Likes

Fair play and good luck with that. It is good to share our goals! Keep us up to date on how it is going!!!

Just as an aside, the feeling when you ARE completely debt free (no overdrafts, loans or mortgage…) is incredible. It’s like someone just turned up the happiness volume on life. And I’m saying that as someone who only ever had very limited debt anyway… The debt farm that is normality for most people is evil, evil, evil.

I would highly recommend splitting your essential housing costs into a separate account too, if you haven’t done that. And try Emma too!

Hi Matt - welcome to Dozens and this community. Sounds as though you have already made a great first move in recognising that you need to do something and then doing something about it!

I have been in exactly the same position in the dim and distant and got a rescue package put together by my bank. You look as though you are in control of what you need to do.

There will be lots of great advice coming your way. Here’s hoping to hear that you have escaped your old ways.

All the best
R-

Good luck on your journey :point_up::slightly_smiling_face:

Hi @Matt12 - thank you so much for joining Dozens and sharing your story here.

This is incredibly honest of you and I do wish you all the best with your challenge - it sounds like you are well prepared. Do let us know what you learn on the way as I’m sure there are plenty others who have similar challenges to deal with.

If you need any help making the most of your Dozens account, let us know!