How do we incentivise people to be wealthier?

They summed up the protections of their products pretty well in their latest Instagram post.

Specifically:

Wondering about the protection? We understand you want to feel confident your savings are secure, particularly as we’re a new business. That’s why in addition to FSCS protection of up to £50K, we’ve developed an extra level of financial protection for your peace of mind. When you invest in a bond, we will place an amount of money equal to the amount you invested plus interest, in a trustee-controlled separate account. This amount is held on your behalf, and would be used to pay you in the event of any default.

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/BsVSNMbB_44/

Also on Keto. Lost 2 stone in 3 months.
I’m doing it to be a healthy weight. Once there I will eat carbs again but eat healthier and continue with the gym.
It’s been interesting as I now read most product labels and amazed at some of the ingredients.
On the original topic I think it would help a lot of people save if they could see clear goals and be set achievable targets which would receive a bonus.
I find setting goals work for me if I can see I’m making progress clearly and easily.

3 Likes

Do you reckon there’s scope to do Keto for 6 days and have a cheat day once a week?

I’m looking to transition off Keto full time and onto a maintaining style diet. It does take a few days for Ketosis to kick back in though.

Are we talking on tow forums haha?

Not sure I had 2 days off at christmas (didn’t eat loads of carbs but loads compared to what i had been eating) and put on nearly half a stone and felt rubbish. Took me about 10 days to lose it again.
I suppose it would depend on what you eat on your cheat day wouldn’t opt for 2 x dominos on a Tuesday.
My plan is to go back to eating carbs but less and leave a more healthy lifestyle.

Just realised what you meant by two forums when I was looking at monzo lol

Anything you can do to automate saving would help. Round ups on spends or a plug in along the lines of chip which works based on spending data and saving appetite (high, medium or low).

If you show people how beneficial and easy saving can be, they might be motivated to continue without the training wheels!

Life is about automation these days. People are lazy and want everything with little to no input :exploding_head:

3 Likes

I would argue the fundamental thing to do is to provide people the relevant information they need to make a decision in a language they can understand.

Unfortunately, many professionals explain things in a language the ordinary Jane/Joe doesn’t get. I don’t believe these professionals behaved in such way on purpose, or because they are bad people with ill intentions. I do think, however, like with everything in life, one have to adapt the discourse one uses to the literacy level of the audience in order to convey a message. Not the other way around. This is easier said than done.

Imagine a professional is trying to assess my risk tolerance in order to give me advice on where to put my savings:

1. Saving account;
  2. Bonds;
    2.1. government
    2.1. corporate
  3. Gold
  4. Art
  5. Equities
  6. Real Estate

Imagine also I don’t know past performance of the different asset classes. Neither how they compare. Nor I fully understand the importance of interest rates, or the effects of inflation.

When the professional asks if I would prefer safety of capital, or the possibility of higher returns by assuming more risk, how can I give an answer that will be the most beneficial for me? I can’t. I don’t know the waters I’m sailing in…

Hence, I think it’s of paramount importance to explain these things. Explain compound interest and how it can work to the person’s advantage. And never forget to mention past performance is never guaranteed to be repeated in the future. And explain it like if I were 10. Or 5 and I don’t know how to read.

Yes, gold has been an effective edge against inflation.
Many AAA bonds today don’t. The SP 500 have circa 7% average annual returns with reinvested dividends after inflation but before commissions and taxes… If I have no idea what this means, you may be very well intentioned but, my head will explode for you are talking greek to me…

Am I making any sense here?!

5 Likes

This is honestly the most important thing - understanding and having knowledge of what things mean.

When we are children we get taught about nutrients, what bad food is, what’ll do to you and the importance of exercise. We even get taught about portions!! Whether someone follows the lessons taught is another thing but you are equipped with the knowledge.

Finance on the other hand? You’re not even taught to open a bank account or what that even actually means! Every step of your development, every milestone you progress through, you are never taught a thing about money, savings finances in general.

0-12 Years Old

Unfortunately here you are at the mercy of your parents, if they don’t impart their financial knowledge upon you, you start off a few paces behind those who are. Your parents may have a bank account set up for you, but that’s chosen for you, but admittedly at this point you aren’t too bothered by the % rates and other bells and whistles a bank account has.

13-15

This may be a time were you start doing odd jobs, getting pocket money or your first paper round or some other such ‘employment’.

This is when it is crucial you understand how money works and what you can do with money. That doesn’t mean you don’t spend it, you’re 14/15 you’re gunna spend it, but by understanding what can be done is such a luxury

16-18

This is when you are likely to have a part-time job and maybe put a little away. But up until now you’ve had no formal education on how to be financially healthy, you’re unlikely to have paid a bill, paid tax etc. This causes the most problems for the next milestone.

19-25

This is when you’re likely at university or paving your way in the “adult world” having to pay bills, rent, tax, but also obtaining things like overdrafts, credit-cards, student loans. This is when you need to have the knowledge about ISAs, savings, Bonds, Investments etc etc the list goes on. But typically you’d only have this knowledge if you went out a looked for it. If you hadn’t and you try and get by, you can make some mistakes which can lead you into some pretty bad situations.

TLDR; we are taught how to look after our bodies at a young age and it is then our decision whether we follow that. We aren’t taught to be financially healthy and are just “expected” to work it out along the way

3 Likes