A sad farewell

As a member of the trailblazers group it’s a little sad to decide to remove all of my money from dozens and I thought I’d provide a bit of feedback rather than just leave.

The tracking section of the app is a big draw. It’s supposed to be one of the USPs of the app and a big driver to help people save. There is a long thread with very basic fixes that are needed. Non of these have been incorporated.

The feedback has stopped. We aren’t told when or if these fixes are coming.

The big driving force to get people to try the app was the 5% savings rate. It simply isn’t happening.

Unfortunately I’ve reluctantly decided that Dozens is struggling to meet its purpose and its advertising at the moment.

Hopefully things will progress and I will look back in again but for now it’s back to Monzo

3 Likes

Thanks for the note @Sefti

After the frenetic pace of the initial launch phase where we were launching, tweaking, fixing and developing stuff literally every hour of every day, there has - we agree - been a bit of a period of consolidation.

Our goal was ambitious - to launch the entire app and offer the full range of services - from Spend all the way to Invest, between the beginning of February and the end of the tax year.

We achieved a lot of that, with the current account and card, the track functionality and even getting the first bond out, plus a chance to review the Invest options (to show you our ideas).

However, as @AC mentioned, this was happening VERY fast and with the potential of missing out certain details - as well as putting a lot of personal pressure on a small team. We reluctantly decided that it was better to get it right, and so we’ve slowed the release of features and concentrated on getting all the details right and testing them as much as possible before we release them. I wouldn’t say we have not been making any changes though.

We’ve grown hugely, and are very grateful to the thousands of customers who’ve joined us and who use us every day - and also to those who have also chosen to invest in our success.

We were disappointed not to be able to get the next issuance of the fixed-interest bonds out as planned by the last days of March, but having missed the ISA deadline (which was only 4 days ago) it makes more sense to ensure that when we do issue the next bonds, what we offer is more complete. Not just the bonds themselves, but the buying process, the statements, and more.

Dozens was never intended to be just about the fixed interest bonds. In fact we’d rather be known for the full service of options, and have tried to talk more about the budgeting features - but launching these without a reward for good behaviour didn’t make sense, so we also made the bonds available - but they’re not the only focus.

With this frantic pace of development, it is important to look back and realise that we’ve been offering services to customers for less than 3 months. It was never our intention to be a bright spark that burns bright, but quickly. We are in this for the long term.

I trust that you’ll see the progress you seek very soon - so if you do move back to Monzo for now, do stay in touch and we hope you will see reasons to come back soon.

Can we say “a bientot”?

17 Likes

Of course Rob

Good luck with all of the endeavours

Thats disappointing @Sefti :confused: given we liked engaging with you, and its such early days. But we like your high standards and the fact that you hold us equally to them as you do some mega players who have been around for years. So rather than take this as a loss, we will take it as a big win when (not if) you come back. :slight_smile:

Look forward to your comments again sometime soon,
AC

7 Likes

AC

I think you guys have done a great job and it’s been wonderful engaging with you. It’s obvious to everyone how hard you’re working to make dozens great. I genuinely wish you every success because it’s a product and a philosophy I completely believe in.

Unfortunately the two things that drove me to dozens (decent returns on savings and sophisticated budget tools) aren’t present at the moment.

The easy thing to do is simply quietly leave. That provides nothing to you and the team. Genuinely honest feedback, i suspect, is hard to get other than from a vocal minority because it requires effort. That’s all I’m trying to do.

I’m sure it will evolve and I’m equally sure I’ll be back to use dozens once it has matured and evolved.

12 Likes

Given the shambles of Monzo I’m very surprised to hear that, personally I’d say :dozens: are already on the right road to eclipsing them in terms of the actual product, the list of elements that still don’t work with them after… 3? years is astonishing, but they get a pass because… Monzo. Plus Dozens actually want to learn and improve, unlike others. Sadly Monzo’s year’s advantage means @AC and team will have to work their socks off to get to the point we’re all saying “Monzo who?”, because we’re all talking Dozens, but of all the players to come after Monzo I can see the potential here. Although I appreciate everyone has a different take on things, opinions are like… well, we all know!

Hope you come back to Dozens once the product’s a bit more polished @Sefti, one of my favourite things about this community over and above most of the other fintech spaces, as I’ve said before, is that it’s a great mix of people, and everyone has good things to contribute, so we’ll miss you if you’re not chiming in!

2 Likes

I’m surprised too since Monzo (for me) has never lived up to the hype which its early adopters promoted. I was glad to use it (in 2017) free of charges in Rome, though I had to use chip and pin and this caused the restaurant some issues. I like Dozen’s and want to give them time to prove themselves. Never-the-less I will not use them as my main bank since I have been with Starling from the off, and they have never put a foot wrong. However we are all different and have our own opinions. Good luck at Monzo but why not keep your Dozen’s account open?

2 Likes

I’m a bit the same at the moment. I gave it a month to test out the features and while the tracking feature is really useful, and has lots of potential, using the account for my day to day spending has just given me a feed that is just a pretty hot mess of transfers, roundups and multiple ifttt transactions that makes the actual spending hard to find.
Unfortunately also defaulting back to Monzo for now, much as I dislike the emerging company ethos / scramble for profitability and their horrific forum they do have pretty polished core functionality that works.
I have no doubt that dozens will keep on iterating, and when there’s some movement on the savings front I will more than likely move some cash back in. And I’ll be happy to give it another month further down the road to see what’s changed for the better. I do feel a little sad as there’s lot’s of potential and the engagement has a really genuine feel to it, and is the first fintech that’s persuaded me to become a (very small) investor.
So I’m definitely not closing the account, but it’ll become dormant for a while until some of the basics are addressed.

2 Likes

I must admit that I have similar feelings at the moment, I’ve looked forward to the launch of dozens, possibly too much so as I’m not particularly wowed by the working features. The budgeting tool needs to be more accurate in terms of adjusting according to under/over spending, the round ups should be instant and preferably show as one transaction rather than as its own, automated category allocation is incorrect much of the time - even when making a cash withdrawal it shows as general rather than ATM. Also, there should be interest rates on normal savings

1 Like

I don’t disagree, for the most part, with your other points. However, with this one it was mentioned very early that dozens can’t do this yet, in part because they are not currently a bank.

3 Likes

I think in my opinion, Dozens has come on leaps and bounds in a short space of time. The team and especially @AC know that not everything is 100% how they want it yet.

Dozens I’m sure hasn’t even launched publicly yet and are still onboarding those from the waiting list and seedrs investors. Yeah there’s still a lot to improve, refine and implement but I think it’s extremely impressive for what is essentially still a beta product.

I think that’s the benefit of being an early customer. You can give feedback on things that the team can take on board and fix for future app updates.

I don’t think Dozens can be compared to the likes of Monzo and Starling. Both of them have had banking licenses for quite a while now, and neither of them had the huge array of features when they first launched that they do now.

I really do hope that people don’t give up on Dozens, and do come back. This is nowhere near the finished product and will continue to keep evolving. It’s extremely exciting to be here at the start of a new fintech that really has the potential to be a huge competitor. That takes time though, and I’m extremely confident that @AC and the rest of the time know exactly what it takes to fully achieve their vision for Dozens.

6 Likes

This is why it’s sometimes easy to simply leave and not give honest and truthful feedback. Feedback can’t always be positive. Constructive negative feedback is sometimes more useful.

I have given my honest feedback why I’m not currently using dozens. It obviously resonates with people as many have agreed.

It’s not an attack, it’s not a comment on the dozens team. It’s customer feedback.

4 Likes

I can totally see it’s not an attack or a comment on the Dozens team. However, at this stage of a new product, I wouldn’t necessarily term any feedback that’s not positive as ‘negative’.

The team need to be made aware what is working and what is not. That is the point of the trailblazers group. It’s not there just to be full of threads of positive praise.

Dozens isn’t going to have a Monzo or a Starling type product just from the onset. They haven’t even launched publicly yet, so of course there’s needs to be patience and understanding that not everything will be working as maybe it should be. Also that there will be issues there for people looking to use it as a main account.

I think it’s good as well that you hold Dozens to the same esteem as the major players. It’ll mean that you’ll be even more impressed when they level their features and surpass what they’re doing.

I just think it’s a real shame you wanting to leave at the moment, as I think there’s feedback you could give that probably others haven’t picked up on. This helps the team shape their future direction.

2 Likes

What I find difficult to contemplate is that acceptance of the beta moniker and that it’s not a finished product. I agree that’s where it is.

However, I joined, and transferred in money due to an advert I saw on the London Underground advertising the 5% bonds. But yet when I joined, they were not available, and still aren’t. Neither are the investment products which also seemed interesting when I read the main website.

Again, I have no problem with that being the state of things and I read and understood the reasons why once I reached the forums.

But to me it is particularly galling to see tube advertising and a website marketing something that isn’t available. I appreciate I can just transfer my money out, but I had to invest time and effort and I checked the app several times a day until I got my invite code as I was excited at the prospects. Now I’m disappointed.

I also appreciate that dozens need that seed funding, and that they may have ran a little before they could walk with regard to getting all the ducks in a row, but it seems to be misleading people into joining if the headline products are not currently available.

The dozens home page STILL gives the impression these products are available, not in progress (there is a an asterisk on the app section to say the screens are examples, but not that the products are not available) I don’t go to London often, so I don’t know about the tube ads. I expect they have finished their run by now.

5 Likes

I feel very similarly. After such an extensive advertising campaign it’s very disappointing that the 5% bonds are still unavailable.

1 Like

Hi all, this is a great thread so do keep letting us know what we are doing not so well. We are committed to getting all of this right in the next few months and hopefully present you with a genuine alternative to your high street current account, plus access to simple investment products.

For what its worth, the timing of the ads and the bonds not being live is totally unintentional - as you guys know we ran a £100k Trailblazers Bond issuance in Feb that was already oversubscribed. But as a nascent regulated business, I personally had to weigh up the cost of disappointing you guys versus delaying the next issuance till everything is pitch perfect on the backend (and I mean risk frameworks, reporting etc not just front or back end tech thats visible to customers).

As we are pushing the boundaries on making financial products more accessible to retail users, and particularly as we are a licensed investment firm with an experienced management team, the regulatory expectations from us is much higher than just an emoney institution and I don’t want us to start on shortcuts, although its heartbreaking to see we have let you down.

Believe me, the team is working tirelessly through April to get this all back on soon, and hopefully in a month’s time, with a bunch of feature fixes and the bonds+invest shelf live, we will all be happy again. By 3Q, even more exciting partnerships and features are in store, and hopefully we can announce these in a roadmap view soon.

We are all so grateful for your early support, and I would hope that even when the above is complete, you continue to use this forum for pointing out any thing that can be done better. Just be gentle as we are still in step 4 or 5 of a thousand mile journey! :slight_smile: :pray:t3:

14 Likes

Hi AC - good to hear from you. For my two penn’orth I would say that for me the excitement and apparent innovation seems to have gone flat. Very much appreciate that you are slavishly working behind the scenes - but we cannot see that. I don’t expect to be informed of all the triumphs but I do sense a malaise starting to creep in.

I love the idea of what you are attempting and I am trying to remain positive and loyal (I even got some shares) but I m struggling a little with the impact of the delays.

I appreciate Robert is away - but could someone put some pressure behind my replacement card (first reported 16 Feb)?

Thanks, R-

1 Like

Hey @Rogerb! Not all is bad while @robert is on hols, promise! :hugs: Could you PM me your details please I will go check with the service team re your card.

3 Likes

Really just weeks ago.

I think the ad campaign may have set expectations a bit high, but the timeframes we’re talking about are very narrow.

I’m looking forward to where dozens could be in six months, a year…

3 Likes

Not surprised you’re leaving dozens.

Unfortunately there’s too many people who are drinking the kool-aid of this ‘challenger’ financial institution, as their dogmatic perspective is all legacy banks = evil, all challenger institutions = saints. This is mostly based on factors such as the former wearing suits in the office while the latter don Bob Marley t-shirts. Therefore they will give dozens blind support no matter what.

For what it’s worth, I think it’s extremely unprofessional for dozens to still not have launched the “March” issuance of their heavily-advertised bond when we’re almost into the month of May.